Friday, June 27, 2014

And then he graduated...




It has taken me a couple of weeks to really come to terms with this event.  I no longer have babies living at home.  I have two adults, both of whom have graduated High School and are out in the world making a living and preparing for/attending college.

If you had asked me a year ago if I had thought the year would end this way, I wouldn't have been so sure.  Mikey went through a really rough time in his Junior year and after just one marking period at Copper Hills we ended up withdrawing him from his High School and letting him attempt electronic High School at home.  That didn't work out so well, and by the end of the school year he had some decisions to make.  Three options:  One, get his GED and be done.  Two, enroll in Valley High which would help him get things completed a lot quicker/more easily so he could graduate on time or maybe even early, or three, go back to Copper Hills and plow through a TON of work and POSSIBLY graduate on time, IF he would motivate himself to complete almost two complete years of school simultaneously in that year.

I was actually really shocked that he picked the most difficult option... to go back to Copper Hills... but I respected that it was his decision and both Mike Sr and I decided we would just full on support him and encourage him the best we could.

How grateful I am for his amazing counselor and a handful of incredible teachers who went out of their way to work with him and make the year a success.  I still get very emotional thinking and talking about this experience.  Mike not only completed his entire senior year of full classes, but he did a TON of make up packets/classes to earn the credits from his Junior year simultaneously.  It literally came down to the last few days before graduation for us to get confirmation that he had been successful, and I very much almost died from anxiety the last couple of months, but he did it.  HE DID IT!!!!! 

Congratulations Mikey.  I knew you could do this and I am so proud of you.  You have shown that you can put your mind to anything you want and be successful... now run with it son.


 






 
 
 

1 comment:

Higleys said...

Great Job Mike! Way to go Petra and Mike! I look forward to hearing about the next bright and exciting chapters of Mikes life.