Tuesday, May 6, 2014

My name is Petra and I'm an iPhone addict...

Well truth be told I have known this for a long time now.  My phone is in my hand constantly.  If I'm bored or alone I will check Facebook or Instagram, surf Pinterest or the Internet.  If it pings or vibrates I have to look at it.  If it rings I have to answer it.  Sad?  YES!!!!!  Especially when I'm with the ones I love.  Why on earth do I think anything coming across that phone is more important than them.  And why is it so difficult to leave my phone on the table and walk away?  Habit or addiction?

Well the beginning of this year I made a goal to try and do better, and I have!  I have cut WAY back on the time I spend on my phone and tried to spend more time playing with the fam, cooking, organizing, cleaning, and doing other things.  BUT, when I watched this video yesterday it spoke to me, and I realized although I have been trying to do better, I'm still not doing well enough.



 
 
Some of the phrases he used that really made me think:
 
"This media we call social is anything but..."
"A world of self interest, self image, self promotion.."
"We edit and exaggerate, crave adulation..."
"So when you are in public and start to feel alone, put your hands behind your head, step away from the phone..."
"Talk to one another, learn to coexist..."
"We're surrounded by children who since they were born, have watched us living like robots and think it's the norm..."
"Smart phones, dumb people..."
"When you're too busy looking down, you don't see the chances you miss..."
"Give people your love, don't give them your like..."
"Disconnect from the need to be heard and defined, go out into the world, leave distractions behind..."
"Live life the real way."
 
I was also hit very hard by the back storyline of the boy meeting his future wife because he asked her for directions and then there is a quick span of their life together but then it retracts and shows how none of that would have happened if he hadn't looked up from his phone and forced interaction with the people around him.  Crazy.

Now, do I think social media is awful?  No way.  I love it.  Do I think I need to show better balance in my life when it comes to this kind of stuff?  Yes, absolutely. 

After thinking hard about this yesterday I sat down with pen and paper, (yes literally pen and paper), and made a list of some alternate activities I can do when I'm bored and reach for my phone.  Remember, the goal for me is not to never use my phone, but to decrease my usage and dependence on it and find a much better balance in my life..  Here is what I came up with.  (Part of my problem is I just am not good at coming up with stuff on the fly... so I thought it would be helpful to have a list to reference so I can just pick something quick.)




Excuse the chicken scratch... I don't actually "write" very often!!! 

So, I'm curious... Am I the only one that struggles with this or sees it as a personal issue?  What are your thoughts on this subject?  And what other things can you think of that I can add to my list?


3 comments:

hdknowles said...

I'm the exact opposite. I don't carry my phone with me when I leave the office, and only pick it up to answer when it rings. I'm not a big texter and I don't understand why people just don't pick up the phone and call someone instead of texting. I guess that makes me old. I was at a baby shower awhile ago and 75% of the people there were on their phones texting the entire time the shower was taking place. I don't think people realize how much real communication between people is suffering. There's got to be a better way. Same thing happens at meetings - more attention is paid to the phone instead of the meeting content.

Matthew Black said...

Petra, that is awesome. I love your ideas, and your thoughts on the subject. I see it all to often, and am sometimes guilty of it myself.... not looking up enough, not "communicating."
I too, will look for other things to do. Thanks.

Joyce said...

My husband wishes I would pay attention to the phone more often when he calls, and then leave it completely alone when we're together. I personally could ditch the cell phone and live with my home phone and work phone, letting my calls at home go to voicemail and returning them later when I am in the mood. I'm addicted to reading, and if I had room for my scrapbooking I would be there if I weren't reading. I'm also connected (addicted?) to my desktop: writing, checking my email, preparing speeches, surfing the web, studying church lessons, checking my Facebook account, playing games, etc.