Thursday, April 4, 2013

And Then There Was A Band...

So if you didn't know, my son plays drums. And guess what? He is damn good at it!  (And maybe I could be a little biased, but I also consider myself to be a little musically inclined, so I think I can make a decent judgment here.)  Drums have always mystified me.  How on earth you can play one rhythm with your hands and a completely different one with your feet intrigues me.  I can't do it... I've tried.  But Mikey, he can seriously play those drums.  I love to hear him play.

A couple of months ago he told me he was joining a band.  "Yeah, ok", was my reaction.  But as the band members showed up weekly to practice and more and more equipment was being dragged down to the basement, I started to come to grips with the fact that he might actually be serious. 

He is.  The band, (called Grizzly), is made up of young men in their early twenties and Mike is the youngest member at only 16.  They have written their own music, started recording, and have a couple of local shows lined up as opening acts for bigger bands that Mike likes.  Chances are, this isn't your kind of music.  It's pretty hardcore and there is a lot of screaming, but I LOVE to hear the guitars and drums and I can appreciate the actual music (not loving the screaming, but maybe it will grow on me.)

Anyway, I'm pretty proud of him for all his hard work... This boy makes me smile :)



No comments: