Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Southwestern Salad...


Don't you just love spring/summer time?  The fruits and vegetables are absolutely delicious!  I have one favorite salad that I have been making for as long as I can remember and love to throw together at this time of the year.  I don't know what to call it... I have seen similar salads called "cowboy caviar", "mango salsa" or "black bean and corn salad", so I just called it Southwestern Salad.  Anyway, whatever you may call it, here is my take on that delicious recipe.  (I usually use black beans in this because they are my fav, but I didn't have any on hand, so I used white beans this time.)  I cant even tell you how yummy this is.  I put beans in it so I can eat it alone and don't sit and eat a whole bag of chips with it, but I have to tell you it is really good with chips too.  Go and make it right now! :)

Ingredients:

3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 a medium red onion, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
2 small avocados or 1 large, chopped
1 mango, chopped
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 handful cilantro, chopped
1 can beans (white or black), rinsed and drained
Juice of one lime (can add zest too if you like)
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar or splenda
salt & pepper to taste
*you can also add a very finely chopped jalapeno pepper to this salad to give it a little heat.  Add as little or as much as you want for your taste.  (Remember, the seeds add the most heat, so leave those out if you don't want it too hot.)

Just toss everything together gently in a big bowl and dish yourself some up! Or just sit and eat it straight from the big bowl... whichever you fancy.

2 comments:

Higleys said...

That looks gorgeous!

Kazzy said...

Yummers! That looks really good right now!