Friday, October 14, 2011

Quest For The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie...

I have found it!  Well, actually it was brought to me... but as soon as I sunk my teeth in to these cookies I knew this would be the recipe I would use forever more.  I have been looking for a chocolate chip cookie recipe that "works" since I arrived in Utah.  (Darn altitude.)  I will be looking no further.  This recipe uses shortening instead of butter... that means the cookies don't go flat and overly crispy around the edges.  They are soft and moist but with a perfect crunch on the outside.  My dear, sweet, new Relief Society President brought some over to me and was sweet enough to share the recipe.  (Thank you Shelly!)  I am calling them simply:

"The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie"

1 cup shortening (I used butter flavored.)
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
*1 pkg chocolate chips (I used 12 oz)


Cream the shortening and sugars.  Add eggs, hot water and vanilla and beat well.  Sift the flour, baking soda and salt together and mix in to cookie dough.  Add the chocolate chips.  Drop by teaspoonfuls on your cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake at 350 for 11 mins.


*The possibilities are pretty much endless with these... We threw in mini Reese's Pieces in one batch, peanut butter chips in another.  You could do white chocolate macadamia nut, chocolate pecan, all you would need to do is change the add in!

Some helpful tips:
  • Invest in a cookie scoop.  They are about $3 and look like mini ice cream scoops.  They make sure all your cookies are the same size so they cook evenly.
  • Line your baking sheets with parchment paper. This ensures no cookies stick to the pan and the bottoms of the cookies don't get too brown!  (Parchment paper can be re-used a few times... I just flip it over each time I use it and discard it at the end of my baking session.)
  • Let your cookies sit a minute or so before removing them from the baking sheets.  This lets them firm up just a little so they don't break.  (On the other hand, don't leave them on too long because they keep cooking.)

7 comments:

Mrs. Werginz said...

Tonight is chill at home with the hubby and we will be making these! His fav dessert is chocolate chip cookies so I am going to try your recipe! :)

hdknowles said...

I was going to tell you to get the recipe from Barrington Wilkins, who claims he has the best chocolate chip cookie recipes - I will make sure I try yours - thanks for sharing.

Denise said...

Yes, Jimmy, spent the better part of his first year in law school "perfecting" the chocolate chip cookie. He will tell you now, though, that the recipe he uses was passed down from salve to slave and is called, "That Old Black Magic Cookie". Don't believe any of it, I tell ya.

Kazzy said...

Isn't it so weird how one small little change in a recipe (esp in baking desserts) can make such a huge difference? Those look scrumptious!

Joni said...

Mmmm, those look delicious!

MaryBeth said...

Denise, I am cracking up at your husband!!

Now I'm excited. We're a little higher altitude than you guys, so I'll be trying this one for sure!

Higleys said...

That explains why Jason's recipes use shortening and why I gave up cookie baking at Ricks.