Friday, June 24, 2011

The Scone Experience...

I have learned only only in the last year or two that there are two different kinds of scones.  In England, a scone is more of a cakey or American biscuit texture... it could be plain, it could have fruit mixed in to the batter, it's not overly sweet but it's melt in your mouth delicious and in my opinion, it is absolutely best when served with clotted cream and jam.  It might look something like this...


or now-a-days they can be cut into triangle shapes like this...


But here in Utah, they also have "scones" that look like this...


I'm not sure if this is a Utah thing or if they call them this around the country, but I've only heard of these being referred to as scones since living here... I have always known this more as "fry bread" and they are served with butter and honey or sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Now don't get me wrong... both are extremely yummy.  You just crave different things at different times you know?  And a couple of nights ago, I was seriously craving the more traditional English scones and I did NOT want to try and make any.  So I was telling Dee what I wanted, and she got to wanting something fruity too, so she popped over to Walmart to get something to try and satisfy our cravings, (like a turnover, maybe).  However, while she was there in the bakery department, she called me to tell me that she found a little box of mini cranberry & orange scones.  Yay!  I was so excited! 

So she brought them home and I bit in and it was pretty good... not home-baked yummy of course, or made-in-England yummy, but it was good enough to satisfy my craving and I was happy.

Dee says she wants to try one.  She has never had a scone before.  (I know, what a horrible English mother I am to have never made them for my kids.)  So she grabs one and bites in to it but then hands it back to me immediately with a horrid look on her face.

"Ew... that tastes like paint!" she says.

Um... PAINT???  What the heck?  Who even knows what paint tastes like???  And if you did, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't taste like SCONES!

So now I'm totally bothered that this was her first scone experience and she thinks they are gross and taste like paint.  Consequently, I'm on a mission.  This weekend I am going to try and make something like THESE from scratch... 

And she IS going to try them... and I will continue to make them until we find one that she likes... don't worry, I'll keep you posted! :)

4 comments:

Joni said...

Ha, that made me laugh, you are hilarious, good luck!

hdknowles said...

Scones are pretty easy to make - let us know how they turn out. I might have to make some myself!

Jane said...

I agree, it is called fry bread, not scones. I hope you find the perfect recipe, then you can share it. Thank you SO very much for your help tonight, I can't believe how lucky I am :)

KTPink said...

Post some recipes please! I love scones but I have never found a recipe that was successful