Friday, March 18, 2011

Small Successes Make All The Difference...

I have been struggling the past couple of years trying to lose weight.  After over a year of the weight creeping on no matter what I did, I signed up for my works weight loss challenge.  Nothing budged.  I cut back to three meals a day, no snacks at all... nothing budged.  I spent the entire summer getting up at 4:30 in the morning to do Zumba and ate salad, whole grains and lean meat, even when we were on vacation... still nothing budged. 

Frustrated and depressed about the lack of progress I was seeing, I prayed for help to know what I was doing wrong and made an appointment with my Doctor.  She ordered full blood work including thyroid, cholesterol, all that good stuff.  A few days later I got a call to come in.  I had become famous, but not in a good way.  My triglycerides were the highest anyone in the office had EVER seen.  (The number was so high they thought there had been a mistake and an extra digit had been added.)  But other than high cholesterol, which I have never had in my entire life, everything was normal.

I felt more frustrated and felt like everyone thought I was crazy.  However, I had this nagging feeling that I needed to do some research on the different medications that I had been put on a couple of years back.  Bingo.  I found information on the Mayo Clinic website about one of my medications having a possible side effect of weight gain and high cholesterol. It turns out this particular medication can slow down the production of leptin which controls appetite and fat storage and regulates metabolism.  

When I went to the Dr to discuss my results, I took in the research I had found and had them switch me off the medication.  (This was about four weeks ago.)  The first week of the transition from the old meds to the new meds was absolutely horrible as the old medication has very strong withdrawal effects including dizziness, nausea, severe sensitivity to light and sound and what I can only explain as "head zaps".  (It feels like electric shocks going through my head.)  However, I got through that first couple of weeks ok and even lost three pounds.  A small success! :)

The mere fact that the scale had moved even just three pounds motivated me to get back on track to try and drop some serious weight.  I joined Weight Watchers Online two weeks ago and have already lost a total of 11 pounds.  I go back to get my blood re-tested for Cholesterol this next week and I am anxious to see if things are changing.  I expect changes will be slow, as it can take up to 6 months to get the old medication completely out of my system, but I am so excited to be starting this journey to "finding me" again.  "Me" would like to stop feeling like I'm always the largest person in the room.  "Me" wants to walk, swim and play basketball.  "Me" wants to enjoy shopping for clothes.  "Me" wants to be able to look in the mirror and not fall to pieces because I cannot find ONE thing about my body that I like. 

Dee also decided to do WW with me.  I have been so grateful to have a friend to do it with because it makes it so much easier.  She has lost 15 pounds already and together we are LOVING it.  It is based on a point system and the point values for foods are calculated by entering fat, carbs, protein and fiber.  It has been absolutely eye opening for us to track every thing we eat and see what foods process in our bodies easier.  WW is also really good in the way that you can eat any fruit and most vegetables for no points, so that is a great snack any time you feel hungry.  Also, they give you 49 splurge points weekly on top of your daily points allowance, so you can have a splurge day and eat out with friends and not feel guilty and still lose weight. Basically you choose what you eat every day... you can have that slice of pizza or that burger... but when you are out of points you are out of points, so you learn to eat more wisely and spend your points on things that are more filling and healthy.  I feel like this is something I can stick to because nothing is off limits and I never feel deprived.

If any of you out there are on Weight Watchers Online, let me know your screen name, I would love to buddy up!  Mine is PetraCollins.  (I know, super original.)  Here's to small successes! :)

12 comments:

Tammy said...

I was going to comment, but my comment got way to long...I will blog about it, you will have to read it, thank you for being so open about it...it really helped me to not feel so alone and is giving me courage to write about my current circumstances...Thank you!

R Clan said...

I am so excited for both of you! You are awesome and an inspiration to me. I love you just the way you are. But I know how important this journey is for you. Plus, that cholesterol has to come down because we are going to be friends on this earth for a very loooooooooong time. Whether you like it or not!!!!!!!!

Rudy Rukus said...

I am so proud of you guys!! Glad you got it figured out... believe me (which I know you don't) it's a constant battle down here too!

Lisa E said...

That's great for you and Dee! I'm a big fan of WW so I'm glad you guys are loving it too! I've always wanted to "be healthy," and WW taught me what that meant and how to integrate it into my daily life. Celebrate every success!

hdknowles said...

I starting watching carbs and the weight is slowly coming off - I went to a registered dietician and am taking baby steps to lose the weight but it's working so that's all that matters. Congrats to you and Miss Dee - keep up the good work.

Kazzy said...

Congrats! I am glad you figured some things out about your body. That can be so frustrating.

Denise said...

Emily Jackson did WW and has lost near to 100 lbs. She loves it. Good luck? Did they put you on another cholesterol medicine and/or one for the high triglicerides?

Henich Family said...

All I can say is good work...and you guys look great!

We just love you and your family.

Emma said...

way to go! losing weight is the pits - this past weekend i hit my 60 lbs lost mark. still a long way to go but i will do it, slow and steady. check out skinnytaste.com. tons of yummy recipes with ww point already calculate for you

Joni said...

Way to go you guys, that is great!

Higleys said...

Good Job! I left a similar post for Tammy. I'm not sure if it's relevant but my friend posted regarding her blood pressure. http://carterclips.blogspot.com/2010/10/definitely-carrying-on.html If the medication is still a problem may you could try her plan of attack. Otherwise I hope things keep going in this positive direction. Thank you for sharing. So many people learn new things when others are willing to share personal medical stuff. I've done WW before and it was really good too.

Jane said...

Yea!!! I am so happy you were able to figure that all out, I am so excited for you girls. You have motivated me to start eating better, thank you for that.