Friday, March 25, 2011

Earning The Man Card...

On Sunday Mike Jr was running on wet grass and his knee went out from under him... he thought he had "popped it out" which happens quite frequently to him, but this time was different.  He couldn't pop it back in and he could not put any weight on it or stretch it all the way out.  Hubby called the knee specialist that we went to during football season first thing Monday morning and they got him an appointment on Tuesday morning.  (Dee's bday.)  I was thinking they would throw him on crutches for a few days like last time and he would be fine. WRONG!

Mike called me from the doctors office to tell me they were going to be taking him in for surgery the next morning.  He had a torn meniscus and possibly a torn ACL.  They would know better when they scoped it before the surgery.  My heart literally went in to the pit of my stomach.  Surgery?  My little boy?  Under anesthesia?  I have to admit I was more than a little panicked.

The rest of the day was a bit of a blur.  I was on the phone a lot with hospital staff and insurance etc getting him pre-registered and getting instructions.  All the paperwork and phone interviews which included stuff on living wills and DNR's and such was not helping to calm my nerves at all.  I felt sick to my stomach.  Thank heavens for priesthood blessings.  Once Hubby and my Dad had given Mike Jr a blessing, I started to feel a little bit better.

I felt awful that this was all happening on Dee's bday, and hope that we can give her a bit of a do-over on some aspects of the day.  (When I told her that, she asked me if that included a do-over on the check we gave her... no Dee, it does not!)  We did get out to eat dinner and Dee got to spend some money at the mall.  But the celebration will definitely have to be continued this weekend a bit.

Wednesday morning we had to be at the Eccles Outpatient Center at Murray Hospital at 10:15am.  It was a long night and none of us got much sleep, however, Mike was very, very calm and in good spirits.  If any of you know him, you know he and his best friend Tristan frequently make what we call "Herbert" sounds.  Well, he kept doing this around all the staff and the nurses and I was so embarrassed and just hoped they weren't paying him much mind.  They all absolutely loved him though and he had everyone cracking up.

It was a long wait in pre-op, (thus the camera phone pics by dad), but we had a private room to wait in with Mike so that was nice.  We met the anesthesiologist and he was a pretty funny/quirky guy.  (Mike told us after the surgery that the guy gave him the anesthesia while singing "I feel good" to him while he fell asleep.)  The doctor came in and went over everything with us again and calmed our nerves.  They finally took him back to the operating room about 12:15. 

Meanwhile, we were put in another private waiting room with a T.V., phone, desk area and comfy chairs.  They also had all kinds of drinks and sodas and crackers for us during our wait.  I was so impressed with how we were treated at this facility.  While Mike was in surgery they even called in to our room from the operating room to let us know his ACL was fine and they would just be repairing the meniscus.  Really, we could not have asked for better staff and I was so thankful.

They came and got us just before he woke up and put us in a post-op area so we were waiting for him when he came out.  I cannot adequately put in to words my relief when I saw them wheel him in.  I will just say that I am a big baby.  (Sniff, sniff.)  He looked totally out of it, but he was awake and he was sipping on water and eating crackers which shocked me because they said he would not have an appetite at all and had even given us a prescription for anti-nausea medication.  However, apparently the first thing he said when he woke up was "I am STARVING!  Can I get something to eat?"  Several of the nurses told me how adorable and cute he was.  I dread to think what he was saying and doing back there.  I'll just say that he is not shy... that is for sure!

(It's tradition that they have to have a "bean-dip" pic EVERYWHERE!)

I was surprised to see him in a full leg brace from thigh to ankle and his knee looked HUGE under all the bandages.  Everyone who had talked to me about the surgery had told me that it was not a big deal and that he would be up and around within a week or two and it was a pretty quick recovery.  However, they told me that Michael will be in the full leg brace and on crutches (non-weight bearing), for a month and then he will have physical therapy after that. 

The doctor explained to me that the most common meniscus tear is fixed by trimming the meniscus at the tear and those kinds of tears tend to heal quicker and you can weight bear very quickly after the surgery.  However, Mike's meniscus had torn and flipped which is why he had no range of motion at all.  They did a complete repair on it and stitched it up so while this means the recovery is longer and possibly harder, in the long run, he still has his entire meniscus and this will be a very good thing for him. 

The past two days have been very rough for the guy, but he is doing so much better today.  (He has totally earned his man card with the way he has dealt with the pain.)  We had a follow up visit this morning and of course Mike Jr had to take lots of pics when they took the dressing off... boys are so gross that way.  So for those of you who did not receive this pic via text... here ya go... didn't want you to feel left out. :)

I just wanted to thank everyone who has come by and visited or dropped off treats.  And thanks to the lovely lady, (who knows who she is), who brought by a fabulous dinner even though we told her not too... I really appreciated it. ♥


Jane said...

I am so glad it went well, I felt so bad and can only imagine the worry you felt. What a handsome, tough kid!

Kinouchiville said...

Glad to hear everything went well! I've got to say I understand how Mike felt when he cam round from surgery. All I wanted was food too lol. Hope it's a speedy recovery for him. xx

Joni said...

Oh, I had no idea, I'm happy everything went well. I can totally understand all the worry you guys went through, kids just make you worry worry worry!

hdknowles said...

Well, welcome to the club - two surgeries for a torn meniscus, and the last one showed the ACL detached by 70% - that wasn't repaired because it was a worker's comp injury and not approved. So some time down the road I'll have a 3rd knee surgery. I was out of work for a month on crutches with the last surgery (but I am considerably older than Mike). I'm sure, given his age, that he will recover quickly. Hopefully you have recovered as the mother of the patient. Glad everything worked out okay.

R Clan said...

I did NOT have to see that picture again. lol I am glad it all went well. I am sorry that it will be a hard recovery for him. Maybe he did it to get all the girls attention. ;) You know to call on us if you need anything else! Love you guys! Get better quick Jr.

Kazzy said...

Man card earned, for sure! I hope he is well.

Heather Matthews said...

Sorry for contacting you through your comments section but I couldn't find an email address on your blog. We found your blog and thought you would enjoy our new website

Mommy Giggles is a site where moms submit funny pictures to share with other moms to get a giggle out of. They can either be pictures of their kids or of other hilarious “mommy moments”

We are contacting you to see if you have a funny picture that we could post – we would of course give you the credit, and also post your blog (if you want). There is also a $25 Amazon Gift card drawing to everyone who submits a photo each month.

We also would appreciate if you could spread the word about our site to other moms too!

We hope you will get a “giggle” out of our site.

Warmest Regards,

Heather Matthews & Heidi Werry

Like Us On Facebook -
Follow Us On Twitter -!/MommiGiggles