Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Mongolian Beef...


I have searched for a good recipe for P.F. Chang's Mongolian Beef for a long time.  The other day I happened across an excellent copy cat on Food.com.  This is absolutely DELICIOUS!  A little fiddly with the beef and cornstarch, but totally worth it.  As a side note, I did not fill my pan with a cup of oil so the beef was covered.  I just coated the bottom and cooked it both sides, then blotted off as much of the oil as I could before returning it to the skillet to finish.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
vegetable oil, for frying (about 1 cup)
1 lb flank steak
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 large green onions

Make the sauce by heating 2 tsp of vegetable oil in a medium saucepan over med/low heat. Don't get the oil too hot. Add ginger and garlic to the pan and quickly add the soy sauce and water before the garlic scorches. Dissolve the brown sugar in the sauce, then raise the heat to about medium and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove it from the heat.

Slice the flank steak against the grain into 1/4" thick bite-size slices. Dip the steak pieces into the cornstarch to apply a very thin dusting to both sides of each piece of beef. Let the beef sit for about 10 minutes so that the cornstarch sticks. As the beef sits, heat up one cup of oil in a wok (you may also use a skillet for this step as long as the beef will be mostly covered with oil). Heat the oil over medium heat until it's nice and hot, but not smoking. Add the beef to the oil and sauté for just two minutes, or until the beef just begins to darken on the edges. You don't need a thorough cooking here since the beef is going to go back on the heat later. Stir the meat around a little so that it cooks evenly. After a couple minutes, use a large slotted spoon to take the meat out and onto paper towels, then pour the oil out of the wok or skillet.

Put the pan back over the heat, dump the meat back into it and simmer for one minute. Add the sauce, cook for one minute while stirring, then add all the green onions. Cook for one more minute, then remove the beef and onions with tongs or a slotted spoon to a serving plate.
Enjoy! :)

13 comments:

hdknowles said...

Looks good - I will try it. I need to send you a recipe for Beef and Snow Peas that is really easy and very delicious.

Joni said...

Wow, I'm impressed, that looks very tasty!

Katie said...

I will definitely be trying this recipe. Mongolian beef is my favorite at P.F. Chang's and Pei Wei!! Thanks for sharing!

That Girl said...

Hey lovely lady - you won my mom's painting! Congrats - please check my blog and verify that you want "Fall Leaves." You said you wanted the (previously yellow) leaves dark red - did you want to leave the grass green? Just let me know! Thanks -

R Clan said...

This looks so so Yummy! I just don't know if I can actually make it.

Missy said...

Yum. I use a healthified version of this from Cooking Light Magazine. It's so good!

PinkMama said...

Ohhhhh my hubby is going to love you for posting this recipe. Looks easy enough and doable for me...LOL! Thanks! Very nice blog.

Missy said...

I thought I may have posted the healthier version on my blog a long time ago and I was right, wa hoo!
I'm not sure if this link will work or not, let me know if it doesn't. Hope you like it! :)

http://domesticateddiva-mks.blogspot.com/2010/08/top-2-and-tasty-tuesday_17.html

Red Nomad OZ said...

Hey! Love your blog!! It's encouraging to know that we're not alone in the social and family drama stakes downunder here in Australia!

Happy travels!!

Red Nomad OZ said...

Hey! Love your blog!! It's encouraging to know that we're not alone in the social and family drama stakes downunder here in Australia!

Happy travels!!

Erin said...

I love Mongolian Beef anddo makeit occassionally - I'll have to tryyour recipe and compare!

Melissa said...

That looks yummy! Thank you for sharing the recipe, I will have to try it. I am your newest follower from the Friday blog hops. Love your blog! You can fine me at:

http://thechroniclesofarookiemom.blogspot.com/

Have a great day! :-)

Melissa

Jane said...

I am making this tonight and I can hardly wait! I'll let you know how it goes.