Friday, January 21, 2011

Petra...

I didn't appreciate my name nearly as much as a child as I do now.  I grew up Petra Leona Hildayna Joyce.  I got ALL the family names.  My Mum played around with my Dad's name, Peter and came up with Petra.  She then came up with Leona after Leonard, my granddad, and Hildayna after Hilda, my granny. 

When I was younger I would hold my breath every time I got a new teacher, hoping that they would pronounce it right PET-ra, not PEE-tra.  I took the plays on my name in stride... petri dish, petrafied, and when I was sunburned they called me petrafried...

Now that I am older, I love that I have a name that isn't shared by very many people.  Petra means literally "The Rock".  I am OK sharing a name with this guy:


Can you believe Mike & I actually went and saw him live in WWE Wrestling when we were first dating.  I know, I know...

I also love that there is a beautiful city in Jordan named Petra.  In the fall my Mum & Dad took a trip to Jordan to see this beautiful city of rock.  They brought me back a piece of rock from there, so I own a piece of Petra now.  :)  Here is a picture of the treasury... see how it is literally carved in to the rock?


Petra was not discovered until 1812 and BBC chose it as one of the 40 places you should see before you die.  I would like to visit Petra one day and see the city.  I find it absolutely fascinating and very beautiful.


How did you get your name?

13 comments:

Rudy Rukus said...

My parents just liked it! Then there was also a song which is the one and only song I have ever sang during karaoke haha! I have a secret crush on the Rock too but I am mad he got divorced can't anyone in Hollywood stay married?

Rudy Rukus said...

I was not inferring you have a crush on him sorry!! haha

Higleys said...

Names after roomates, Kristen and Leighlani, nicnamed Leigh. Petra is also the female form for Peter, Sorry I called you Petrafried, I remember that one:)

Dan and Cherish said...

I absolutely love your name! The other day before you posted this Dan came home and said did you know Petra got her name from Peter? I said no... But it is all clear now! I too have a unique name, luckily one that couldn't cause too much teasing, but I think your name is beautiful, and it is pretty awesome that you have a piece of petra. That is a place I would love to visit someday as well!! I don't really know how I got my name... but the most embarrassing part of it was every year in school it would never fail that my new teacher would sing a "Cherish" song to me right in front of the class. Needless to say, there are like 5 of them! I don't mind so much anymore, but at the age of 14 that was my worst nightmare! :)
This was a good post. Thanks for sharing!

Raine and Sage said...

What a fun and interesting tale on your name/s. My Mum came up with Sonia as she was reading lots of russian novels. It was initially going to be Elka or Elke, but she thought the Aussies (a nation prone to nicknames) would give me the nickname Elka-holic. So Sonia it was/is! :)

Raine and Sage said...

PS - The Rock is a great meaning. Very funny that you saw him wrestle.

Jaimie said...

I love those pictures! I was named after my mom's best friend...cause she hoped I would "get some of her beauty" with the name. (She was a model) hahaha gotta love the young mind...

*Ashleigh* said...

What a beautiful place! It is absolutely amazing, the whole city is carved right out of the rock? WOW! I want to go there now as well!

I got my name from the side of an ice cream truck HAHA! (there was a saraleigh at one time I guess?? And thus, Ash-LEIGH was born ;P anyway... that's the story I've been told ;0)

Kazzy said...

I have always thought that was a cool place!

My name, Karen, was randomly chosen, but my kids were either named after a literary character ( hubby is an English professor) or family member.

Joni said...

Wow, you do need to visit that place, that would be really fun. I don't love my name so much, everyone spells it wrong even though every other person I see with the same name spells it the same way I do. Anyway, hopefully my kids like their names more than I like mine. I do like your name though, it is pretty.

hdknowles said...

I always thought it referenced a historical/biblical location. Interesting the way your folks came up with your name. I was named after a friend of my mothers - how boring is that?

Joyce said...

I, too, was named after a friend of my mother's, plus it's part of a (short-lived) family tradition. The first name had to begin with "J" and my middle name is Louise. My grandmother was Julia Louise, my mother Judith Louise and I am Joyce Louise. My cousin's daughter sort of keeps the tradition going - Greta Louise.

Suzie said...

Hey! Just found your blog. Luvit! I'm just the opposite... a brit in the USA. Gotta love the cultural exchange :)