Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Michael Lingo...

Two years in to our marriage, my cute hubby made the grave mistake of buying me a blender for Christmas.  His intentions were noble... "look sweetie, now you can make your own baby food just like you've wanted"... but it was a blender none-the-less.  Every person who asked me what I got for Christmas cringed or giggled when I told them, and innocent hubby (who got a lot of crap from people), swore he would never buy me an appliance as a gift again.  It has been an ongoing joke every time that a birthday or Christmas comes along.  This year a few months before my birthday was not any different, except for my reply... I added "well, unless it's a kitchen aid mixer, haha."  After all, what gal doesn't want one of those?  Or maybe it's just me with my Food Network Obsession.  I have seriously drooled over those things for years.  But the price tag?  Yikes!

Well, I didn't think much of it at the time, but can you imagine my giddy surprise the day before Thanksgiving when this was delivered to me in bed the morning of my birthday?


Yes ladies... that is a beautiful, professional Black KitchenAid mixer.  And to sweeten the gift, he paid HALF PRICE!  I did mentally question his choice in getting me the professional model... after all, I am not a professional cook in any stretch of the imagination... (except maybe in mine when I am doing my own cooking show when no-one is around...), but I figure he took the Johnny Lingo approach to it...

Do you know the movie?  It is AWESOME!  Johnny Lingo, one of the most desired bachelors and a trader in the south pacific islands decides to bargain for a wife.  He goes after one of the homeliest girls on the island, (Mahana), and offers a record price of eight cows for her.  Of course, this causes quite a sensation on the island as people joked about him paying only 1/2 a cow, or her father having to pay out cows for anyone to take her.  A year after the marriage, Johnny and his wife return for the first time and all the islanders find that Mahana is extremely beautiful and very confident.  Johnny explains that by paying eight cows he proved that she was worth more to him than any other woman on the island. He gave her a great gift, that of self-worth.

So I figure hubby's thought process is similar to Johnny's... "if I buy her the professional model, she WILL BE a professional cook."  (Just like Mahana became the 8-cow wife.)   Whatever the reason for him indulging me, I am in heaven and look for any excuse to use it... so if you get cookies or other goods delivered to your door, now you know why. :)

9 comments:

Noelle said...

I told my husband that the only thing I wanted for Christmas was a Kitchen-Aid mixer...a red one.

You are one luck woman!!! Better than 8 cows any day!

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

Oooh, lucky you, it's gorgeous!

I love the cow-story. IT's so heart-warming...but not as heart-warming as your husband surprising you with this baby!! What a sweetie!

Sarahx

Kimberly said...

Ooo...it is SO pretty!

I have a Bosch mixer and firmly believe that an woman who loves to cook should have her own mixer!

So glad you got such a treat for your birthday, and can now have the joy of making treats for everyone else!

Ruthanne said...

I know you have had it for a week now and I have not seen any yummy baked goods on my doorstep.

Jane said...

I am jealous!! I have been drooling over that model for years. I am hoping this will be my lucky Christmas =) Enjoy!

Matty said...

My wife is very particular about what she gets. If it isn't EXACTLY what she prefers, then it's a waste of my time and money. Never mind the gesture or the intent......if she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it.

Oh and by the way. I like chocolate chip cookies. Just saying.

Missy said...

That's so awesome! I want one of those soooo badly.

Nana Poppins said...

I got one of those for Christmas from my sister two years ago. My hubby looked at me like "How come she can give you that?!" So I smiled and said "Because its KitchenAid! ;)

Thanks for stopping by my blog am now you!

Patty (Nana Poppins)
http://nanapoppins.com/

Raine and Sage said...

You lucky thing - I'd love one too! Happy baking is all I can say. Sonia