Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Deck The Halls... Part 2 & 3

The halls have been completely decked for over a week now, but of course I am just getting around to posting about it!  It's a tradition for the grandchildren who live near to go over to Nana & Pops' to help decorate their tree.  The kids are older now, but they still enjoy it.  It's also tradition to hang ornaments from ears instead of branches.  Dee actually threaded hers through her pierced holes... and I was banned from posting the one of my Dad with them stuck in his nose.


Doing Mum's tree got my kids in the decorating spirit.  I have found that the trick to getting them to help more is to just flat out refuse to decorate.  This way they drag all the stuff up from the basement, move the furniture, vacuum and put the tree together. :)  Much less work for moi!  We now put up two trees... Our regular green tree which has no reason or rhyme to it at all... in fact it is a covered in mismatched ornaments that we have made or received from friends... (we LOVE it because every ornament on there has a story), and a smaller Dallas Cowboys tree that goes in the front hallway.  It's amusing to note that Mike Jr is banned by his sister and his father from putting any Colts ornaments on the Dallas tree even though they are blue too.  :)  This year after the sales I will definitely be shopping for a big pre-lit green tree.  I love how easy the white one is to put up!


Now if I could just get the shopping and baking done...

3 comments:

Raine and Sage said...

Lovely photos. So much family, and everyone looks so happy. Our tree is up and I've only been asked a hundred times if today is Xmas? :)

Jane said...

Love the trees and the earings? Too cute! I saw Cowboys ornaments and of course thought of your family, silly me wondered if you had any. I hope someday I can do two trees, I just need a bigger house first =)

*Ashleigh* said...

Cute family! What fun traditions.

I thought of you when I came upon a "frugality" hehe, I like your term... You probably already know this but just in case you don't... I have found that the Asian and Mexican aisle (better yet the stores)are really good for a few things... at the Asian store (since I go there anyway) you can get REALLY cheap produce and herbs (we're talking a BAG of basil for about 1.50... sometimes they only have Thai basil but I still use it the same.. it has a lemony/basil flavor) And on the Mexican aisle at your local WalMart you can get super duper cheap herbs...

just wanted to pass that along just in case you didn't know. :0)