Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Quick & Easy Hungarian Goulash...

I did two weeks of Meal planning on Sunday.  Mostly for these next two weeks I have pulled out old fav's that we haven't had in a while, but there are a couple of new recipes coming up too which I am excited to try.  Monday, I threw one of those Birdseye steamfresh vegetable packets in the microwave and made cheese and garlic biscuits from bisquick, (only take 15 mins start to finish), to go with the main dish... Hungarian Goulash.



My mom used to make this while I was growing up and I LOVED it.  What gives this dish it's wonderful, rich flavor is the paprika!  Of course, being the "take whatever shortcuts you can" type person I am, I came up with my own very quick and easy crock pot recipe that tastes just like I remember.
 
Ingredients:
2 cans Hunts Garlic & Herb Spaghetti Sauce (has many of the seasonings you need in it already!)
3-4 tablespoons onion powder
2-3 tablespoons good paprika
1/3 cup sugar
1 Knorr chipotle cube (*see below for info)
2 pounds stewing beef cut into 1 inch cubes
8oz sour cream
Egg Noodles, or fresh pasta cooked and drained according to directions

Stir together spaghetti sauce, onion powder, paprika, sugar and crumbled chipotle cube in your crock pot.  Brown the beef and pour the beef and the drippings right into the crock pot.  I like to cook it for 2-3 hours on high and then put it on low for 3-4 hours, but you could do 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.  Stir in the sour cream about 30 minutes before serving, (I temper it with a ladle of sauce first), and serve over the egg noodles.  This meat will melt in your mouth!

If you don't want to do noodles, you can chop up a couple of pounds of potatoes and throw them in the crockpot with everything else!  Just sayin'. :)

*Knorr mini chipotle cubes and mini cilantro cubes are one of my new favorite seasonings to cook with!  I just recently found them down the Asian/Hispanic food isle at Walmart and they are AWESOME!  You get 20 in a box for about $1 and they are packed with flavor.  I add one cube of the cilantro seasoning in my rice steamer when I cook rice and it gives it a lovely subtle cilantro flavor. :)  I'm only beginning to discover what I can do with these seasonings, but I love them already.  Here's what they look like:

3 comments:

R Clan said...

Take it from me...I'm kind of a picky eater even though I have grown out of some of my pickiness...This dish is DELICIOUS!

*~Petra~* said...

Ha ha Ruthy... did you notice that is the plate of food I brought you? I just took a pic first. :)

Rudy Rukus said...

That looks simply divine can't wait to add it to my menu plan as well!