Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Little Piece of Heaven...

Last night I experienced a little piece of heaven at the Conference Center in Downtown Salt Lake.  Mum and Dad were out of town and couldn't use the four tickets they had to The Pioneer Day Commemoration Concert featuring the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and the Orchestra at Temple Square, so Mike and I decided to make it a family night and take the kids.  We had dinner at Cafe Rio, then headed over to the Conference Center, arriving early enough to sit on the front row of the balcony which was PERFECT. 


We were surprised and excited to learn that the Prophet was also attending this concert and would make a few remarks.  I just can't explain what a completely spiritual experience it is to hear the conference center go COMPLETELY quiet and how everyone stands when the prophet walks in.  Time literally seems to stand still and you can hear a pin drop.  The spirit there is unexplainable. 

For those of you who don't know, this year marks the 100 year anniversary of  The Mormon Tabernacle Choirs recording excellence!  In 1910 the Mo-Tab made its first commercial recording in the Salt Lake Tabernacle with Columbia Records.  This concert followed the Choir through 100 years of recording... it had the most interesting, amazing history lesson intertwined with fabulous performances.  I was completely engrossed for 90 minutes.  I get goosebumps and teary eyed just thinking about it. :)


Some amazing highlights for me included songs that I have accompanied or sang back east at the Washington Temple Visitors Center with the Washington Family Singers as well as other favorites.
  • The Battle Hymn of the Republic arranged by Wilhousky
  • The Hallelujah Chorus
  • Come, Come Ye Saints
  • Amazing Grace, complete with 4 bagpipers... absolutely breathtaking
  • Climb Every Mountain, from The Sound Of Music
  • Unfold Ye Portals
  • Let The Mountains Shout for Joy
  • Seventy-Six Trombones from The Music Man
Additionally, I had the pleasure of hearing Clay Christiansen perform Festival Toccata on "St. Anne" on the tabernacle organ which was incredible.  He reminds me of my Dad... I only hope I can play like that when I get older. :)

Seriously, it was a concert you just need to see.  And if you want to, YOU CAN!  They are broadcasting the concert tonight on the Internet as well as BYU-TV and other stations at 7pm MST.  Just check HERE for details. 

I really believe that I experienced a little piece of what heaven is like last night.  Not just the concert, but spending an evening with my fam whom I love so very, very much.  Now that the kids are teenagers we don't do as much together as we used to, but after last night I am going to make a better effort to "schedule" these kinds of evenings at least once a month. 

We finished up the night at Yogurt Land in Jordan Landing.  If you haven't been here, you need to visit!  We are trying to be healthier at our house, so to have a place that serves low fat or fat free but DELICIOUS yogurt (seriously, you would not believe this was yogurt), with fun toppings at a good price is a great treat now and then.  The best part is that they will give you sample cups so you can try the flavors before you decide.  It's completely self serve, so you can choose the perfect amount of yogurt and toppings. (The kids like to put multiple flavors in their cups.) 


Last night I indulged in lemonade-passion fruit yogurt with fresh raspberries on top.  It was divine. 


My pics are terrible because all I had on me was my camera phone and it was dark!  But you get the point right?  Take a look at how full the fams cups were... but despite that, all of ours together was only $12!  That's pretty reasonable, so get over there and have a pretty guiltless treat! :)  Your fam will love you for it. ♥

4 comments:

Jane said...

What a perfect evening! I felt a little guilty when you said, it is a great treat now and then. I should only go "now and then" rather than frequently.

Higleys said...

Good Times. P.S. I'll email you the cake recipe.

hdknowles said...

What a neat experience and if I haven't mentioned it yet, make sure you get the choir's latest CD - Heaven Songs. It is a great CD and includes The Prayer - I was driving around the beltway listening to it and came upon the temple with that song playing and started crying - I can't get enough of the CD. Boy, your kids are growing up. Nice to spend a night with the family.

Kimberly said...

Talk about fabulousness! And suddenly I'm hungry...