Monday, July 19, 2010

Fragile...

My Mom & Dad are returning early from their trip to California to take care of the music at a funeral tomorrow.  A 29 year old mother of 2 young children in their ward was hit by a pickup truck while cycling along Highland drive.  She was training for a triathlon with several other women.  Her youngest daughter is only 4 months old.  (You can read the full story HERE.)

This story has haunted me since I heard about it last week.  Such a young woman with a very young family.  She did nothing reckless.  She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when a driver wasn't paying attention and ended up dying.  Her life over, just like that.  I'm sure her husband never dreamed that he would never get to talk to her again.  I'm sure she had no idea that it would be the last time she kissed her children goodbye in this earthly life.

It is times that I hear about things like this that I am especially grateful for the Gospel.  It may not be able to immediately remove all the pain for the many people who will be affected by this tragedy, but the one thing it does offer is hope.  Hope that this family can be reunited again in the future.  Hope that those children will one day know the mother who was taken away from them way too early. 

It also reminds me that life is fragile.  Sometimes I go about day to day getting upset at stupid things or not paying enough attention to the people I love the most.  Sometimes I live way too much for the future instead of the right now.  Sometimes I'm so caught up with what I DON'T have, that I forget all the things I DO have. 

Finally, it reminds me that I need to take every opportunity to "dance in the rain", figuratively and literally speaking...  living my life right... not leaving "choosing the right" for some future time when it is more convenient.

3 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks, Petra. I'm going to go play with my kids right now.

hdknowles said...

What a tragic story for that young family. It only takes a moment to change a lifetime. Thanks for sharing.

Kimberly said...

I think it's impossible to hear of such a tragedy and not be affected...not look at our own lives and take a sort of inventory. That poor family.