Monday, July 26, 2010

Food For Thought...

Found an awesome quote on Sparkpeople today that has really got me thinking:
"The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before." -Steve Young
I don't know about you, but I am a chronic compare-myself-to-OTHER-people person...

"So-and-so is a much better mother than me..."
"So-and-so is a much better cook than me..."
"So-and-so is much more fashionable than me..."
"So-and-so is much more fit than me..."

Am I the only one that has this problem???  The thing is, when I constantly compare myself to OTHER people, I always seem to come up short, which makes me miserable!  Then comes the thought that that I need to work harder to be as good as "so-and-so" and it's not really like I am trying to compete against them, but subconsciously I kind of am because I want to be a better person!

This quote kind of gave me an A-HA moment... I need to stop comparing myself to other people.  I just need to be a little bit better today than I was yesterday.  I think I can do that!  That is not to say that I will not continue to be INSPIRED by the people around me.  It is not to say that I won't ADMIRE the people around me for their many talents... but I guess what I am saying is my journey... my goals... my life have to be about being the best me.

The End!

5 comments:

Vic said...

that is a great quote....your best friend and lover is yourself. don't ever feel ashamed, bashful or feel that someone is better than you....smile, stick your nose in the air and act like your shit is the shizzlebenizzle:) xoxo

Kimberly said...

A hearty amen to that quote! I've definitely found that my some of my greatest joys in life come from looking back and seeing what progress I have made. For me, it's a striving not for perfection, but to be better than I have been or could have been.

Higleys said...

I agree with everything. Also though keep in mind there are a lot of people that want to be as good or better than you. You are our envy and better stated inspiration. You will always be my fashion icon, my fitness queen, my musical talent inspiration, my spiritual yardstick, my motherhood mentor and more. I love me but I really like you too:)
Love ya BFF (even though I never see you and I know there are many more that must feel the same way about you that I do, I can share)

HRH Mommy said...

You hit the nail on the head with this one. I am right there with you. Comparing yourself to others will absolutely drive you crazy if it doesn't give you an inferiority complex.

Very well written and thank you for reminding us.

HRH Mommy
http://mformommy.blogspot.com

Tammy said...

great quote! accepting and appreciating yourself is a very personal journey...great reminder to us all!