Friday, June 4, 2010

Flashback Friday...

This week I visited England using Google Earth... 
This is a current pic of the house I grew up in
on Tilehurst Rd in Reading, England.
It was built in the late 1930's, early 1940's!


And here is the hospital I was born in...
Royal Berkshire Hospital, which was opened in 1839.
It's very first patron was Queen Victoria.


Last year when I went back to England
for the first time in about 18 years,
for my Granddad's funeral,
I visited both of these places.

I also visited my primary (elementary) school
and saw parks and streets that I remembered.

My Granddad's funeral was held in
the same church I attended until I moved here.

I saw people I hadn't seen since I was 12.

I love the architecture.
I love the streets and the shops.
I love the road signs.
I love the double decker buses.
I love the taxi's.
I love the countryside.
I love the castles.
I love the people... especially my family that are still there.
I love all the treats that I still crave...
Sticky Toffee Pudding, English Chocolate, Skips,
Marmite, Golden Syrup, Salad Cream, Caramel Wafers,
Jammie Dodgers, Jaffa Cakes, Sausage Rolls,
Meat Pies, Cornish Pasties, Fish & Chips...

As Americanized as I may have become,
and as much as I love America,
I still have an incredibly great love for my home country,
and sometimes, I yearn to be there.

4 comments:

Higleys said...

I think you should love England.
One day take your Yank kids over to the motherland.

Denise said...

How cool! I can't believe the house!

Jane said...

Your home! The hospital! Wow!

Cindy said...

I love England too and I wasn't even born there.