Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Trip Down Memory Lane...

Recently my mind has been reflecting back a lot on my first years here in America.  We moved here when I was about 11 and oh my goodness, the stories I could tell!!!  Oh, alright... you twisted my arm...

The elementary school my little sister and I attended thought it was WONDERFUL to have two little British children move in to their boundaries.  In fact, they asked my mum, (American translation... MOM), to come in and talk at an assembly about British traditions, foods, etc.  I was so excited... I just knew that everyone was going to just love my mum and her adorable accent and that she was going to tell fabulous things about the country we came from...

The day of the assembly came, the gym was jam-packed and I was sitting there listening to every word that flowed out of her mouth... right up to the point where she was talking about traditional English foods and told the ENTIRE school that a favorite dessert in England was...

 "Spotted Dick"... 

...trust me when I say that up to the day I graduated High School, I NEVER lived that down!!!

Spotted Dick:  A steamed or boiled suet pudding containing dried fruit, often served with custard.



I can honestly say, I do not in ALL my life EVER remember eating this, so I really can't be sure why my mum would tell all the kids at school about it... unless she just plain thought it would be funny!  :) 

5 comments:

Higleys said...

I don't remember that at all. My first memory of a British term would be you asking were the Loo was. I also remember you in the King and I.

hdknowles said...

I can totally hear your mum saying that and am quite sure she had no idea who it would be taken in the good ole' USA. Thanks for the laught today. I wish I had read your post about the candy bar earlier in the day - Kim is arriving tonight from England and I could have asked her to bring one with her. But by the time I read it, it was the middle of the night in Harrogate.

R Clan said...

That is the funniest thing ever. I love that you are not afraid to share these stories. :)

Cindy said...

We get Bird's Custard Powder whenever we go the UK. After reading this post I'll never think about your mother in the same way (ok, I guess it is pretty much the same as always). I'll be a follower.

Alison said...

Funny stuff :)