Friday, April 16, 2010

My Name Is Petra, And I'm A Farmaholic...


I have started my own intervention.  I have been completely addicted to Farmville on Facebook for several months now.  Have you ever played?  If you haven't, DON'T DO IT!!!!  It is a completely useless, silly game that you will become COMPLETELY addicted to.  I thought I would be immune when I decided to take a look at what all the hype was about.  I was soooooooooo wrong. 

I don't know what it is about this game... you know it is a time waster, you know it is completely stupid and that it doesn't require any skill or brain power at all, but you CAN'T STOP YOURSELF!!!!  You have to go every day and harvest your crops before they die and earn fake money so you can buy fake stuff for your fake farm... but for WHAT???  I don't know!  You just can't help yourself!  Think I am over exaggerating?  Farmville has over 23 MILLION fans on Facebook.  Insane?  Why yes, yes it is!

I, Petra, have wasted way too much precious time on Farmville, (I am talking sometimes hours at a time!), so I have had to stage my own intervention.  It has been approximately 12 days since I farmed on farmville.  I have let a whole field of cabbage die!  I did not collect the Easter eggs that were all over the place.  I have not collected from any animals or harvested any trees.  My name is Petra, and I'm a recovering farmaholic!

9 comments:

R Clan said...

You are so funny. I was so happy that I listened to my concious when it told me to NOT start. lol I have my own garden in my backyard I have been waiting to get my hands on. YAY!

MaryBeth said...

LOL! You and my mom are freaks. Cute freaks, but freaks nonetheless :)

Denise said...

I applaud you and am oh so proud of you! Now, if you could just get my parents to quit. If I visit them again and hear cows coming from the computer room again I may scream! Just think about the rockin' garden you would have if you spent that much time on it!

Kate said...

Be strong, Petra! BE STRONG!!!

Alison said...

Are you having any anxiety about the cabbage or are you doing okay?

hdknowles said...

Well, I just lost my comment so I have to start again. I just used my one and only "unwither" on your farm. I didn't read your blog confession before I did it. And, by the way your cabbages look extraordinary.

I have another take on FV. It's an incredible stress reliever. Yes, it is mindless, but I find it very relaxing. We are blocked out of it at work so I can only access it at night, however, I will be getting some day time farming in as I'm at home for the next month recovering from knee surgery.

If you are truly a recovering FV addict, does that mean your children aren't farming? And, if you are really not farming, I guess I won't need to stop by and feed your chickens.

Remember - choice and accountability - you can choose to play the game for a little while or let it take over your life (how's that from a former YW President).

We, in the farming community, will miss you Petra. You made an admirable attempt.

And, in answer to Denise's comment, you can turn the farm noises off so you don't hear them so you don't have to worry when we come and visit you in May.

Higleys said...

I am weak but you stay strong. You don't need it, and whatever you do don't get a dog, I have one and it's almost as needy as a real dog.

Cindy said...

I think you're on to something Petra. Why not start a for profit 12 step program for Farmville Addicts Anonymous(FAA)? Oops, I guess that acronym is taken. You will be on your own for that part.

Mom said...

It's May 6th. Just read this today. Thank you for your insights. Love you!