Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What's For Dinner Wednesday... Homemade Cafe Rio...



I actually served this LAST Wednesday for dinner, but it has taken me this long to get the post together. This is my all time favorite recipe for pork loin... The Cafe Rio Sweet Pork recipe (seen above served with citrus almond rice, sour cream and salsa):

1 good size pork loin
1 2 liter bottle coke (I use caffeine free)
1 16oz jar of your favorite salsa
2 cups brown sugar

Put the pork loin in your crock pot and pour enough coke in to just cover it. Cook the roast on high for about 6 hours. Drain off the coke and shred the pork. Mix together about 16oz fresh coke, the jar of salsa and the 2 cups of brown sugar. (I throw it all in the blender to get rid of the chunks.) Put everything back in the crock pot and cook an additional 1-2 hours on high till it is all delicious looking. Put the crock pot on low until ready to serve.

Serve on tortillas with rice, salsa and sour cream... or go the whole mile and make all the salad toppings. Did you know you can now buy the tortilla strips they put on the top at Smiths? They come in Regular and Santa Fe flavor!


Here is the recipe for the Cafe Rio Creamy Tomatillo Salad Dressing. (I have tried many variations of this recipe, and this is by far the closest to the actual dressing. It is heavenly and the one I use every time now!):

1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayo (not miracle whip)
1/2 cup sour cream
1 pkg dry ranch buttermilk dressing
2 medium tomatillos (remove outer leaves)
1 tsp crushed garlic
3/4-1 bunch of Cilantro
2 to 4 tsp green Tabasco sauce
Juice from 1 lime
Salt & pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients together and refrigerate until ready to serve. (At least one hour.)

5 comments:

Higleys said...

How do you make the rice? I'm gonna have to try this it looks sooooooooo good.

Cindy said...

OK, this is really strange. We made this for Christmas Eve and we all loved it. So the I decided to make it for a baby shower and was in the process of doing so when I read your blog. Tammy makes the rice and I don't have that recipe, but she does and it's great. I make the pork and the guacamole (Karen's El Torito recipe). The only difference with our recipe is that you cook the pork in water (in the crock pot) for 6 hours, then drain it and add one can of coke, salsa and 2 cups of brown sugar for each 6 lbs. or pork and simmer it on low for 2-4 hours.

Cindy said...

Oops. I was typing too fast. Sorry for the mistakes. Take the first "the" out of the 3rd sentence and it should be "of" pork in the last sentence not "or." The teacher in me couldn't let that go uncorrected.

Henich Family said...

this is so yummy and I have made it several times!!! thanks for sharing!

Rudy Rukus said...

And oh is it delicious!! Thanks again for having us over it was so fun!