Monday, February 8, 2010

To Be Healthy or To Be Yummy, That Is The Question...

I have to admit that I have always kind of believed that there are two kinds of recipes. The yummy kind and the healthy kind. Don't get me wrong, I know that when I cook healthy, within a few days my body adjusts and healthy food can taste good, but lets not kid ourselves that carrots taste as delicious as chocolate, eh?
Anyway, this weekend I tried out a couple of new recipes for a friend that has recently found out she has high cholesterol and while they were all pretty good, one stood out to me as really yummy. Yummy AND healthy? I stand corrected.
This is the recipe for Zucchini-Carrot Bread. (I'd post a pic, but it is all gone... I'll try and remember to snap one next time I make it.)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup oat bran (after going to two stores and not finding this, I substituted another 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 good size zucchini... I peeled off the green skin with a potato peeler before shredding it so that I don't have dark green stuff in the bread, which puts my family off of eating it.)
  • 1 cup shredded carrots (about three good size carrots)
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated orange peel
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional, but I added them.)
Preheat oven to 350 and spray 8x5 loaf pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, whisk together honey, oil, egg and vanilla. In another bowl combine the flours, oat bran, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add dry ingredients to honey mixture with zucchini, carrots and orange peel and stir to blend well. Add walnuts. Spoon in to pan. Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.
I found this bread to be super moist, which surprised me with the amount of wheat flour that I put in there! Also, because I shredded the veggies on the finest side of my grater, you really couldn't tell they were an ingredient and it is always good to be able to get a couple extra servings of veggies in my kids! The orange flavor was divine. If you wanted to go the extra mile, I bet a handful of craisins would be nice in it too. Anyway, this recipe is definitely a keeper. :)

11 comments:

Ruthanne said...

You can have both. You just have to find the right recipes. :) The carrot part of this recipe kind of scares me...but I wouldn't know cause I didn't get to try it. ;) lol Maybe this summer when I have tons of zucchini and carrots I will try it.

Tammy said...

This looks really good! (but I tend to like 'rabbit' food) I have always had high(really high!) cholesterol, so I feel her pain! you do get used to it, and that makes it a little easier, but sometimes you just want a big ol greasy slice of pizza from Ledo's! now if you'll excuse me, I got a pan of lemon bars that need to be eaten...

Joni said...

That does sound yummy, thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

That sounds great. I'm going to try it one of these days soon.

MollyinMinn said...

I have zucchini sitting on my counter right now that I was going to make into bread tonight. I will have to try this!

Henich Family said...

It was so yummy I thought all the food that day was!

Cindy said...

Does it go well with hot chocolate? That is what we are living on these days.

Alison said...

I just tried a new recipe too, scones with caramel sauce. I would probably feel a lot better right now if I had made something healthier like you. Last year I had a surplus of zucchini in my garden, so I will definitely use it in the summer!

Jane said...

Looks delish, thanks for sharing!

Jessup Jive said...

I was all set to make this tonight. With the special diet I am on, it totally works! Alas no zuchini.

*~Petra~* said...

Cari, you should have called me! I would have tossed ya one over the fence :)