Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Happiness Project Blog Hop: Your first set of resolutions!

Happiness Project

I am so happy to have had some people sign up for the Happiness Project Blog Hop! It helps so much to have people to be accountable to and to know I am not alone in this mission to become happier! :) If you haven't started yet, it is NEVER too late to join us!

We are on week two. For this week, if you haven't already, post your goals for the month and then tell us how you are doing on them. Also include any thing you have learned and any changes you have made! Then LINK UP by adding your post to the MckLinky List at the bottom of my post.

You can also add this same list of links to your blog by clicking HERE for instructions and code! This means any time anyone adds themselves to the list on any one of our blogs, we will all get them added to our list too and that will enable us to hop around and visit other people participating in this project and give them support too! :) (Thus the name, BLOG HOP!)

Remember, the core of a happiness project is to...

  • identify elements of your life that you want to change
  • find concrete, measurable resolutions that, if kept, will help you bring about that change
  • hold yourself accountable for keeping your resolutions
  • decide whether you want to adjust, toss, or re-commit to a resolution

I think that last point is important to note, because it allows us to make changes as we deem necessary!

A tip from Gretchen is that resolutions work best when they’re very specific, so you know whether you’ve kept your resolution or not. Accountability is key!

She also has some great examples of specific goals you can set under different categories:

  • Attitude: Give positive reviews. Don’t talk about my irritations.
  • Clutter: Put dishes in the dishwasher immediately. Make my bed each morning.
  • Creativity & Writing: Write a novel in a month. Keep “morning pages.” Take notes.
  • Diet, Exercise & Health: Take a 20-minute walk each day. Eat protein at breakfast.
  • Family & Children: Make my children dissolve in laughter at least once a day. Read a chapter out loud every night.
  • Friends: No gossip. No “topping.” Show up.
  • Fun: Try a new restaurant each time I eat out. Go to a game instead of watching it on TV.
  • Gratitude: As I stand in the shower, count my blessings. Sincerely thank two people each day.
  • Helping Others: Volunteer at the thrift shop. Sign up for the breast-cancer walk-a-thon.
  • Memories & Traditions: Organize all the photos in tidy boxes. Take a five- minute video of my kids each Sunday night.
  • Mindfulness: Put up sticky notes to remind myself to “be.” Don’t listen to my iPod on the way to work.
  • Money: Pay down twice the minimum on my credit card debt each month. Buy needful things.
  • Relationships & Marriage: Don’t expect thanks. Think of small treats.
  • Religion & Spirituality: Read the Bible every day. Meditate each morning.
  • Work: Go to a professional conference. Sign up for training on the new computer program.

For more information about The Happiness Project 2010, visit Author Gretchen Rubins Happiness Project Blog.

For more tools to help you with YOUR Happiness Project, visit Gretchen's Happiness Project Toolbox!


MckLinky Blog Hop

4 comments:

Rudy Rukus said...

That's a cool idea. I have a post in mind. Let me get it done and linked up.

R Clan said...

Ummmmm....I need you to help me on this one still. lol I have been working on Organization this month. Anyway, we need to play so you can hold my hand through this process. lol

Denise said...

Ok, I signed up for the hop, but I'm not showing. What am I doing wrong?

*~Petra~* said...

Denise, you are not doing anything wrong... Each week a new hop is posted so that you can post your NEW link. (Not just your blog address, but the address to your specific post!) That way you only have to visit people who have updated their post and everyone on the hop can quickly find the new post you have. :)

To get the address for a specific post, just click on the title of that post... then copy and paste the link listed at the top of your browser in to the blog hop! Let me know if there are any other questions! :)