Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas...

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas. I enjoyed my Christmas immensely. We spent the morning at our house, (the first year ever in our OWN home), opening presents, cooking and laughing together, then we went to my Mum & Dad's for Christmas Dinner and some extended family fun. I can't imagine Christmas without family. It just wouldn't be the same. (Though my heart does still pang for my brother and sister in England and their families as well as Mike's Mom & his brother and his family. I miss them all a lot.)

This year we had an amazing spread that started with DeAnna's homemade mini-quiche, cream cheese covered in raspberry chipotle sauce with shrimp, artichoke dip, crackers and cheese.

My Mum puts out the most incredible feasts for any dinner, but she really outdoes herself for the holidays. The main course brought roast beef, ham & turkey with ALL the trimmings. Roast potatoes, parsnips, horseradish carrots, green bean casserole, funeral potatoes, stuffing with cranberries & pecans, sweet potatoes with brown sugar, pink salad, broccoli salad, cranberry jello mold, bread sauce (traditionally made and simmered over a three hour period by my pops), gravy and rolls.

For dessert there were mincemeat pies, jam tarts, all types of cookies/bars and we even had a traditional English Trifle with real Birdseye custard on top. Oh, just thinking about it all makes me hungry for it again! In fact, I swear I can smell it all right now!

We had a fun day playing, chatting and watching a movie together. We also had a family talent show where each of the families had to do something together. Our family did "The 12 weeks of Football" where we changed all the words and acted out some amusing entertainment. It wasn't your typical 12 days of Christmas... I'll just say that, and give thanks that no-one got it on video. LOL.

I hope each of you had a very Merry Christmas and that you too enjoyed your time with your family. God bless you all!

3 comments:

Higleys said...

What a great way to spend the Holiday. You need a tripod so we can see you in the picture too. Send my best to all in the family.

Rudy Rukus said...

Looks like fun!! Glad you had a Merry Christmas!

Ruthanne said...

Um Yum! Well, you have to ask your Mom and Dad to do that all over again so I can come and enjoy all that food. It sounds delish!