Tuesday, December 8, 2009

The Happiness Project...

I subscribe to Woman's Day Magazine. (I know, it's an old lady mag, but I am pretty much addicted... I love it and I got three years for $10, what can I say... plus, it is awesome bathroom reading!) This month there was a fab article entitled "C'mon, Get Happy", (click on it to read it), by Gretchen Rubin that has made me really think for the past few days. Basically it has you think about what is stopping you from being happy and has you create your own "Happiness Project". Gretchen suggests coming up with 12 resolutions... things to work on that make you happier... and then working on one for January, then adding the next in February, etc. Some of her goals include making time for friends, remembering love, pursuing a passion and paying attention. At the end she gives you a list of questions you can ask yourself to kick-start your happiness.

Reading the article definitely made me want to set up my own "Happiness Project" for 2010, so I have to figure out what my goals are gonna be for the year. The first question Gretchen recommends asking yourself is "What makes you feel good?" I'm still working on it, but so far my list includes:
  • Cuddling with Hubby
  • Spending time with the fam
  • A night out with good friend(s)
  • Playing the piano
  • Listening to loud music and dancing all around when no-one is home
  • Chocolate, mmmmmmmmm, especially Cadbury's
  • Saving money
  • Hugs
  • Helping someone do something they can't do themselves
  • Eating well and exercising (I don't do this, obviously)
  • Reading a great book
  • Writing stories
  • Sitting in a hot, bubbly jet tub
  • Having manicured nails
  • A clean house!
  • Days off work
  • Seven hours sleep

So I am curious... What makes you feel good???

3 comments:

Higleys said...

Ditto to numbers
1-3,5-10,13,15-17 and
Singing
My funny boys
Good health
Basketball (I never get to play anymore)
Hubbymade cookies

Cindy said...

Cuddling with Hubby--Yes, after 38 years that still makes me happy
Spending time with the fam--Yes
A night out with good friend(s--Yes
Playing the piano--Not this year
Listening to loud music--Yes without the dancing
Chocolate, No (but I really don't mean it)
Saving money--Yes
Hugs--Yes
Helping someone do something they can't do themselves--Yes
Eating well and exercising--Yes, I'm trying!
Reading a great book--Sarah by Orson Scott Card is first on the list
Writing stories--NO
Sitting in a hot, bubbly jet tub--Don't have one
Having manicured nails--No
A clean house!--YES, but I want someone else to do it.
Days off work-I'm taking more this year.
Seven hours sleep-Make that 8 or 9

Add:
Traveling
Students who get it when I teach it
Taking pictures of people and places I love
Reading blogs (obviously)

Alison said...

Hmmmm. Great post Petra. I will think about it and probably write a post about it.