Thursday, October 29, 2009

Thursday Therapy: Why should my heart weep?...

Brandie has inspired me to be a better blogger... She has a great blog that she updates frequently and it has such an assortment of information, that I really look forward to seeing what she comes up with next! One thing I love that I have noticed that she does sometimes is to use memes on some days.

A meme (rhymes with cream, or ironically... theme), is an idea or pattern of thought that can replicate or evolve as it is passed from one thinker to another. In blog world, it translates to fun posts that can be repetitive like "Tuesday's Tip", "Wordless Wednesday" or "Thankful Thursday"... (you get the point). A reader can read the post, then if they choose they they can evolve the post in to one of their own, linking up to the original post if they want to. Sometimes it can be a thought, sometimes a picture that doesn't need any words. Sometimes it has questions associated with it to get the readers thinking and responding. I think it is absolutely fab, because if you can come up with one or two cool memes that you love, then you sort of know what you are going to post about for at least a day or two of each week.

Thursday's is one of those days that I don't often post... probably because I always have Young Women's the night before, so unless I put on my thinking cap and stay up really late, it just doesn't happen. So when I was thinking about what I could post about on Thursday's, I grabbed the dictionary and looked under words that started with "Th" for my Thursday's meme. The word "therapeutic" immediately caught my eye because it was defined as "curative, healing, good for personal growth and health"... does that sound as appealing to you as it does to me??? So without further ado, here is this week's "Thursday Therapy"...

DeAnna was asked to make a mormonad in seminary last week. If you don't know what that is, it is where they take a scripture and turn it in to a poster so that it sticks in your mind. Since they weren't bringing it home, (they were going up on the wall) she took a picture of it on her cell phone and sent it to me.




I loved it so much that I asked her to make me one which I have put on my desk at work.



The simple message of this mormonad has really set me thinking and touched my heart very deeply... With all that I am blessed with and all that I have, "why should my heart weep?" It has reminded me to focus on my blessings and the good things in my life rather than just constantly feeling sorry for myself when I have trials. It also reminds me that I have the ability to help make other people's hearts smile by serving them when they need it. It was a message I really needed to hear and has made a BIG difference in my attitude this week.

How do you remind yourself to have a happy heart?

4 comments:

MaryBeth said...

Petra, I find it very difficult to have a happy heart during this time of year as it was five years ago that my daughter's health went downhill eventually leading to her death.

When this happens I turn to my journals...not necessarily the journal from that time, but any time. I love reading about going out with you and Jenna, random homecoming and prom dates, fights with sisters, mission experiences, being proposed to...just about anything. It takes me back to a time where I was happy and realize I can be there again.

Now I want to go post an old journal entry so everyone can join in with me ;)

Tammy said...

Thats great, I like Memes! I actually use them in my life, kinda sorta. "Manic Panic Monday"(bill paying day),"Teacher's Tuesday", (Volunteer at the school),"Wash the car Wednesday" and "Friday Food day" (all groceries are purchased)....your theraputic thursday will definately be a lot more inspirational than the 'memes' I use!

Rudy Rukus said...

OH thank you so much! I should blog less and mother more then my heart wouldn't weep hehe! Anyway I am doing another one today Flashback Friday. And thanks for the cookies they were fab!
Brandie

Karen said...

I just try to realize when progress has been made, however small the increments are.