Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dear Utah Drivers...

Did any of you get stuck in traffic this morning or get detoured since a major part of Bangerter was closed down from 4am to after 8am? I thought it was weird that the police had Bangerter closed down when I went to work at 6... there is not usually ANY traffic at all that time in the morning... but I didn't truly start wondering what had caused it until one of my co-workers came in around 8 and said he too had been on the road for over an hour trying to get in.

A quick look at KSL and we were informed. A black Jeep traveling along 90th had run a red light and was hit by a HUGE Semi-truck that was traveling around 60mph along Bangerter Highway. The Jeep was drug for 150 feet until it stopped and the guy driving it was killed.




In the two years I have lived here I keep reminding myself how lucky I am not to be driving in the DC Metropolitan are anymore! I do not miss those overly aggressive drivers. Utah drivers are almost too nice sometimes. Where else would you see someone hold up an entire street of traffic to let someone out. Still blows me every time I see it! :)

However, one thing I have noticed over and over since I have been here is the immense number of Utah drivers who run red lights. It is absolutely terrible! I mean seriously people, when your light is green and you should be able to go but four more cars go through the red light crossing right in front of you, that is a major problem!

One thing I appreciated in Maryland was the presence of red light cameras. I believe that they made people think twice before running that light. Cities here should definitely give some thought to installing them. When people know that they will get a hefty ticket for doing it, much of the red light running could stop.

Why am I so bothered by this suddenly? Maybe it is because I have a 15 year old permit holder in the house right now which makes me more painfully aware of the stupid drivers around me. People have cut her off, sped around her illegally and done other stupid things that have honestly made me want to go after them! I don't want her injured because someone was ignorant and ran a red light or... (another HUGE pet peeve of mine), someone was TEXTING while they were driving. I can't tell you how often I see people doing that even though it is now against the law.

Do you remember the two men that were killed two years ago in Cache County by a 22 year old who was texting while driving? If you text while you drive and/or think that you are careful enough to avoid causing injury to anyone, you must watch this video from Utah's Zero Fatalities Website. Please, please watch it and see how many lives were affected... devastated in fact, by a 22 year old who made a very bad decision to text while he was driving.

I know there are many other things that can cause distractions while we are driving that we need to be careful of, but these are two easy decisions every driver can make right now. DON'T run red lights... you can spare the extra 2 minutes, and PUT THE PHONE DOWN while you are driving... no text or phone call is important enough for you to risk lives over. (If you are dumb enough to think it is, then at least pull over first before looking/answering it.)

The decision to run a red light cost that driver his life this morning. I can't imagine how many people will be affected by his death. Please, let's all take care while driving. Our vehicles truly are LETHAL weapons.

8 comments:

Alyse said...

I totally agree! That was a great post- you should send it to the newspaper or something! =)

Chrissie said...

"Where else would you see someone hold up an entire street of traffic to let someone out?" Um...Britain. LOL xx

Chrissie said...

As for the phone thing...use an bluetooth ear piece...that's what they're for. Did you know Mary's (as in Carole's and my friend) husband was part of the team at Ericcsons that invented that? Yep yep yep. Cool eh?

Higleys said...

We were hit over a month ago by a 16 yr old who ran his red light. Luckily Jason had stopped so the boy only hit our front end. He did alot of damage to our van and he was only going about 20-30 miles an hour. No one was hurt. Driving is serious and running a red is not worth my (or my family's life)

Joni said...

Nice post. Mike was stuck in that traffic also. I agree, too many people run red lights. Sometimes I almost get rear ended because I stop at the yellow/red lights. The people behind me think I'm going to go through them but I don't. Maybe your post will help everyone to drive safer, thanks!

Cindy said...

It only goes to show you that crazy drivers are everywhere and you HAVE to drive defensively. Never assume they will stop or go when they are supposed to. By the way: Say Hi to your mom and dad for me.

Alison said...

Those photos of the mangled jeep are enough to scare most people into being more safe while driving. I hope that they get those red light cameras if it is that big of a problem.

Jane said...

Amen on the red light thing, it drives me nuts. I can't tell you how many times I am about to turn left as the light is red and luckily wait cuz one more car just HAS to get through. I guess some people's time is more important. aaaugh!!!