Tuesday, June 9, 2009

On second thoughts... STAY AWAY!!!!

Ironic that one day after inviting you all to come over and hang and be part of our "clique", we have to write another post shunning you away... at least for this week!

Mike Jr came down very sick Saturday afternoon. All of a sudden he had a fever of 103.5, (that was an hour after taking Motrin), a nasty cough, a splitting headache and all he wanted to do was lie down and sleep.

Mike Sr decided to take him to the instacare where they said they had seen 50 people with similar symptoms that afternoon but they went ahead and tested him for swine flu just in case. I was 99% positive that was not what it was if that many people were showing similar symptoms in one day. It must be a 24 hour bug! They put him on Anti-Viral Medicine just in case, sent him home and told us to keep him home and away from people for a few days as a precaution, but told us not to panic or to raise panic in anyone else. They would have the results of the test by Monday. By the next morning he seemed almost good as new, still, I felt very strongly that we should stay home from church. Our ward has close to 200 primary kids and I don't think that includes all the nursery kids either. I didn't want to risk getting any one sick with whatever it was.

Monday rolled around and I felt I should work at home even though he was doing fine. School is out for the summer so I just had him rest. We didn't hear anything all day so in my mind I was telling myself that no news was good news. Come 6pm we called to double check but were told that they were just starting to make the phone calls. At 7:23pm we received a call from the instacare. Mike Jr tested positive for the swine flu.

I was absolutely speechless. Where on earth did he get this from? After receiving all the instructions from the nurse, I put down the phone and just stared sat the wall for a few minutes. I haven't heard much about the swine flu on the news recently, so I really hadn't thought about it much. Now here we are having to deal with it.

Luckily for us, Mike Jr got on Anti-Viral medicine the first day he showed any symptoms. That medicine seems to be working great, because to see him you wouldn't think he was sick! They have asked us to keep him away from people for 7 days. We also have to watch for any respiratory duress in which case we take him straight to the ER. Dehydration is another big issue to watch for, however, my little guy hasn't had any problem eating or drinking.

Mike Sr works in the health field and contacted his work straight away. He will most probably be on mandatory leave for the next week. I too am advised to work at home this week. DeAnna has cancelled three babysitting jobs as well as her music lessons. Basically we are quarantined to our house in an effort not to pass this on to anyone. If none of us are showing any symptoms by Saturday, we should be in the clear.

What has concerned me however is information we have learned since Mike has gotten his diagnosis. Apparently there have been quite a few cases of the swine flu at the middle school my kids were attending up to Friday or last week. We had two girls who were here at our house on Friday who I later found out were not well... one of which had been out of school for most of the week. Why would parents send kids to my house who had been sick all week? And then there is the issue of parents sending their kids to school sick because they don't want to take a day off. Another thing mentioned in an article that I read this morning is that many people who are diagnosed with the swine flu are not heeding the doctors orders to stay away from people. This is not the time for any of us to lack in our precautions when our children or ourselves are showing symptoms of being sick. Our family is living proof that the swine flu is alive and right here in West Jordan. I am so glad we listened to the spirit on Sunday and kept our family home. I would have felt awful if we had exposed our ward to this.

At this point I am praying that we didn't pass this on to the family we saw Saturday morning before we knew anything. I am also praying that Mike Jr will continue to recover at the rate that he is and that none of the rest of us get it. It is completely driving us crazy to be home bound. Today is the 4th day we have been stuck inside. However, we are trying our best to do our part to keep this epidemic from spreading.

My friend Ruthie just sent me over the hymns for Sunday. I had to giggle when I saw she had chosen "Count Your Many Blessings" as one of the songs. But it is times like these that we need a good reminder. I'll make sure my next post is about all the good things that have come out of being quarantined to my house :)

6 comments:

couplabz said...

WOW! It is unfortunate that people aren't more careful about spreading things when their kids are sick. It's unbelievable how inconsiderate people are. I hope that he gets better quick and y'all can go on with your lives.

Higleys said...

I'm glad you found out and were able to minimize the risks, thank you for thinking of others. I hope everything continues to go well. Love y'all

Denise said...

That stinks. I'm glad that it is now since it seems like things aren't as bad as they first suspected. At least you don't have to worry too much. I hope the rest of you don't get it, though. Good luck with your 3 more days of being indoors!

Henich Family said...

Oh Petra....how awful. You guys are so great to follow the spirit. I hope he is feeling better today. We get emails at work since I am at Intermountain and it is still going through Utah tons it seems. Please don't hesitate to ask for ANYTHING!

Rudy Rukus said...

Sorry you are ill. Glad you are smart enough to do what you are told! Honestly people are so ridiculous! Love you guys wish you the best. Let me know if you need some gatorade I have some in the basement! haha

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! I hope everyone is well at the end of your quarantine time. You wouldn't believe how many parents send their kids to school sick where I work...and that is elementary school!