Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Better late than never...

So four weeks ago when we moved in to our new home, we had basically no food storage. (We had quite a lot when we lived in Maryland but used it and gave it away before we moved to Utah.) Knowing that we were only temporarily in our rental home, it was hard to think about stocking up and moving it all again. Well, we have been thinking a lot about food storage since President Murphy came to our ward and counseled us quite firmly to get started on it. So, as soon as we moved in to our permanent home, we set up shelves in our basement and I have been buying a few extra items each week to fill them. So far we have this...


Now granted this may be quite puny, but considering a few weeks ago those shelves were empty, I don't think we have done too badly. (Bear in mind this is EXTRA food, not my pantry.) Now EVERY time I go to the store I pick up AT LEAST one item for my food storage. It has become fun to find deals that I can stock up on. :) Next stop, the cannery for all the long term stuff! Anyone interested?

6 comments:

hdknowles said...

Nice job in a short time. I'm looking forward to canning some strawberry jam in the next few weeks. You still need to send me your new address.

MaryBeth said...

I love it! That is one thing I'm looking forward to when we finally get our house. We still won't have a great place to put it all, but we'll have more room in general and that's a great thing!

Higleys said...

way to go.

Joni said...

Great job with the food storage, funny how food storage can be exciting but it is!

Cindy said...

Everyone should have a year's supply of Fruit Loops.

Karen said...

Hellen's strawberry jam is AWESOME! I want a shelf full of that.