Sunday, January 25, 2009

Life is like a rainbow. You need both the sun and the rain to make its colors appear...

I was driving home with DeAnna the other day and the weather was dismal. To say that the sky was dull and grey would be an understatement, but to top it all off, it was raining. Yuck. :(

So I see a car drive past us with a little girl who couldn't be more than five or six with her head just slightly stuck out the window and my first thoughts were "what the heck is that mother thinking letting that child stick her head out of the window? She'll catch a death of cold! Not to mention, that is just not safe! Good grief."

Well we pulled up to a stoplight and happened to pull up right next to the car and I sort of glared over to the left at this unsafe, (soon to be sick), child. Wouldn't you know the little girl, with a big bright pink flower in her hair and still with her face out in the rain looked right at me, smiled a big old toothy grin, and waved at me.

I don't know what happened, but I think I must have felt kind of how the Grinch must have felt when they said "his heart grew three sizes that day". It was like a rainbow hit me slap dab in the middle of my face. I couldn't help but to smile and wave back. Then the light turned green and I saw her close her eyes and and smile, enjoying every second of the rain lapping down on her face.

So thank you little girl in the silver station wagon, where ever you are, for reminding me that I should be less judgemental of people for starters, and second, that I need to take more time to stop and feel the rain on my face... or to enjoy any of life's simple pleasures for that matter. Thanks for being my rainbow.

3 comments:

Higleys said...

Thank you. I like to read your reflections

Denise said...

What a nice post. That girl was really living.

R Clan said...

What a wonderful thought.