Monday, December 29, 2008

All good things must come to an end...

Do you remember the show 90210? During that time there was a lot of publicity over Tori Spelling and the vast variety of hair styles she sported. Short hair, long hair, straight hair, curly hair, blonde hair, red hair... she did it all.

I have to admit, I have had my own share of "Tori moments" in my lifetime. I have done long, short, red, black, brown, blonde, curly and most recently, straight. While I am being honest (and just in case someone else feels the need to out me on this), I feel I have to admit that I even had a mullet, (HUGE accident where I saw a girl with shaved sideburns, thought I would cut mine the same, but forgot to pull back the rest of my hair before I cut... instant accidental mullet), but thankfully my hair has always grown really quickly, so it didn't last for too long!

But my favorite hair of all time was my 80's hair. It was big, it was tall, it was blonde, and it was pure curls. I got up every morning at 4:45am and went to seminary at 6am with curlers in my hair so that I could wear my big hair to school. (I refused to do the mousse and scrunch look... I was all about the big curls.) And none of it would have been possible without... (drum roll please)...


Ah, the purple can of Aqua Net. I always had at least two or three on hand. I even carried one around in my big 80's purse.

Now, I don't technically use Aqua Net anymore... (I do have a commemorative can sitting on my bathroom counter, but it is never used), after all, there is no more big, curly hair that I need to stand six inches off the top of my head and last through rain, humidity and youth dances ;)

Still, my heart kind of panged when I walked through Target the other day and saw that they have changed the can.

It now looks like this :(

I have to say... this is just not right. This does not sit well with me at all! I am not oblivious to the fact that the can I have in my bathroom is not the original can... but at least it was close. (See bottom right corner of this pic... not one, but TWO cans of the original purple Aqua Net... and notice the big bangs and the high, curly pony tail... only Aqua Net could do that.)


So I bid a fond farewell to my best hair-friend with a tribute to my 80's hair. I will miss your old can, Aqua Net... things will just never be the same without you!



7 comments:

Tammy said...

Isn't that what you still look like?? JK...I think it would be really fun to see Deanna with your 80's "DO" ..next time it's 80's day..you have GOT to do her hair! but this post isn't complete without a photo of whatever product it is that mike used for that FLAT TOP!! how did he get it so PERFECTLY straight!?? and the pink HOBIE shirt...classic! You two are HOT!

Higleys said...

I love it and I remember it all. I was with you and the fog of Aqua net. Don't forget the designer imposter's perfume we would wear. You make me want to curl my hair anddo it up just for old time's sake. Have a happy new year

MaryBeth said...

You were truly and inspiration to us all...wiping away single tear...

hdknowles said...

You are too funny.

R Clan said...

This post was very entertaining and produced some DANG good laughs.

couplabz said...

That was great! I also remember that hairspray, in fact I still have a can in my house (although mine is in the laundry room, not the bathroom (gets ink out of clothes REALLY well!))

My fondest memory of Aqua Net is that it always broke my forehead out. Ah, those were the days!

Cindy said...

Great post. I bet you could get pictures of a lot of friends who had hair just like that. I'm old enough that my sixties hair was long straight and parted down the middle. I combed it while it dried during seminary. It was easier and cheaper than Aqua Net, but the results weren't nearly as impressive.