Friday, September 5, 2008

Everybody is wise AFTER the event...

I have a very sensitive nose... especially when it comes to body odor. (To be frank, it makes me gag.) I am extremely picky about deodorant and have always pretty much just used Secret because hey, it works! (There are plenty of deodorants that work SOME of the time, but Secret has never let me down) ...not to mention there are a plethora of scents to choose from so I don't always have to smell the same.

Well the last time I was at Walmart, my eyes wandered over to the Dove deodorant. Now I have seen a TON of commercials for Dove products. I remembered specifically that at one time, they issued a 5-day challenge promising softer, smoother, more moisturized skin under your arms if you used their product, so I figured, what they heck? I have a coupon... I will give it a try. I picked one of the powder scents and took it home to live on my bathroom counter (with all the other beauty products I have been suckered into buying).

Wednesday night was our Young Women's activity night for our ward and we had decided to play dodge ball with the Young Men. Within minutes of playing, I got a whiff of something unpleasant, and immediately recognized that smell. Who the heck was it? I tried to move around to different areas, but it seemed that no matter where I went, the smell followed me. I was suddenly both enlightened and horrified. Was it ME???? Had Dove let me down?

The answer folks is simply, YES! (Dang you Dove!!!) What was a YW Leader to do? It was not like I could just take off and go home to fix the problem. I ran to the bathroom and washed under my arms with soap and water on a few occasions throughout the game, but this was a very short term solution each time. Over all, it was a long, painful night full of self consciousness and insecurity. (Thank you Dove! I don't have enough of THAT already.)

So what are the morals of this story?
  • If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
  • When it comes to body odor, taking chances with large groups of people you are going to socialize with frequently in the future is probably unwise.
  • Breath mints don't mask the smell of sweat, no matter how many you eat.
  • Always keep a spare deodorant or SOME kind of body spray in your car. (And no, a sour tide pen won't cut it.)
  • Above all, DON'T USE DOVE because who the heck cares if your underarms are softer, smoother and more moisturized, if you STINK!

I give Dove a NEGATIVE five daisies. It's back to my trusty Secret for me and I ain't switching again!

7 comments:

Denise said...

Ha ha ha!

My Name's Sarah said...

SO SORRY! It doesn't get much worse than BO. I'm Secret fan, too, by the way!

Miss Dee said...

I totally understand! That freakin' dove stuff costs so much but it doesn't even work!

(At least Mom got the twin pack and I didn't have to pay for it!!) :-)

MaryBeth said...

How bad is it that your stinky pits are cracking me up :)

R Clan said...

Secret is my fav. too. (I will not share the comments my dh has been spitting out.)

Henich Family said...

Oh Petra...I love reading your posts and don't worry, I didn't smell a thing! I SWEAR. So you had it well hidden if it was as bad as you said. ;)

P.S. Secret IS the way to go.

hdknowles said...

I, on the other hand, love Dove, especially the cool cucumber scent. And I bought 4 at Costco for a very good price. Have you tried the new Clinical Secret? It's pretty pricey ($9 I think). You much have a very sensitive nose. And I enjoy reading your blog.