Well the last time I was at Walmart, my eyes wandered over to the Dove deodorant. Now I have seen a TON of commercials for Dove products. I remembered specifically that at one time, they issued a 5-day challenge promising softer, smoother, more moisturized skin under your arms if you used their product, so I figured, what they heck? I have a coupon... I will give it a try. I picked one of the powder scents and took it home to live on my bathroom counter (with all the other beauty products I have been suckered into buying).
Wednesday night was our Young Women's activity night for our ward and we had decided to play dodge ball with the Young Men. Within minutes of playing, I got a whiff of something unpleasant, and immediately recognized that smell. Who the heck was it? I tried to move around to different areas, but it seemed that no matter where I went, the smell followed me. I was suddenly both enlightened and horrified. Was it ME???? Had Dove let me down?
The answer folks is simply, YES! (Dang you Dove!!!) What was a YW Leader to do? It was not like I could just take off and go home to fix the problem. I ran to the bathroom and washed under my arms with soap and water on a few occasions throughout the game, but this was a very short term solution each time. Over all, it was a long, painful night full of self consciousness and insecurity. (Thank you Dove! I don't have enough of THAT already.)
So what are the morals of this story?
- If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
- When it comes to body odor, taking chances with large groups of people you are going to socialize with frequently in the future is probably unwise.
- Breath mints don't mask the smell of sweat, no matter how many you eat.
- Always keep a spare deodorant or SOME kind of body spray in your car. (And no, a sour tide pen won't cut it.)
- Above all, DON'T USE DOVE because who the heck cares if your underarms are softer, smoother and more moisturized, if you STINK!
I give Dove a NEGATIVE five daisies. It's back to my trusty Secret for me and I ain't switching again!