Monday, September 22, 2008

The best things in life are free...

…well, at least according to my dear hubby they are. It is no secret that we are what we like to call in our house “a student family”, so frugality is obviously of the essence, but there are some things you are just resigned to paying for. Rent, light, electricity, water… they all cost money, nevertheless I’m at a general level of peace over it. My hubby, not so much. Ever since we have moved into this house where we actually had to start paying for this stuff, I swear he has become the utility police!

For example, I go downstairs the other morning with the kids to make breakfast. Soon the house is filled with the aroma of fresh fried donuts, so naturally Mike (Sr) is drawn downstairs. (This is the guy who eats about a dozen donuts a day when we are on vacation.) But when he comes into the kitchen, all he can think about is the fact that we have a LIGHT on. (Oh the horror.) He promptly turns off the light, opens the blinds, and says “look sweetie, it’s free light”. Never mind that I am standing there in a robe looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket for all people passing by to see. Just as long as we get free light! If this happens to you on a VERY regular basis, then you definitely live in the Collins household.

Or how about when the house starts to feel a little warm? A normal person would just switch on the air conditioning for a few moments to cool the house down right? Not in our house! ANY time I have the AC on, Mike will come in, turn off the AC, open up the windows and say “Look love, it’s free air”. I know it is free air, but it is also air that is severely tainted with the stench of the Great Salt Lake and while that may be a smell that doesn’t bother you, dear hubby, I get enough of that from you without the windows being opened!

Now I have to admit that there are some times when his implementation of the “free” things in life can be quite endearing. For instance, it was particularly romantic the other morning when he stopped and picked a couple of sunflowers for me from off the side of the road on his way home from seminary. That is the kind of free that I can truly appreciate. I can also appreciate our weekly date to Café Rio which results in getting a “free meal” every few weeks, (because of their frequent diner card), or a “free desert” coupon printed off a restaurants website!

So I suppose those are the things I need to focus on next time I am cooking in the dark with the smell of the Great Salt Lake wafting across my face. I am telling you right now though; I will draw the line when he starts rationing the hot shower water!!! :)

1 comment:

Denise said...

Ha ha ha! Maybe you should just look at it as helping the environment, that way you won't feel so much like it's about money.