Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

One thing I absolutely LOVE about Utah during this season (I know, I love everything about Utah…), is the huge patches of sunflowers scattered randomly around the place. Driving to my house from the store I pass fields of barley with sunflowers growing all along the edge. When we walk up behind our neighborhood where they are doing construction, the hills there are COVERED in sunflowers. They are by the schools, by the churches, in people’s yards, along the side of the road… just about everywhere.

The reason I like sunflowers so much is because they are so bright and cheerful. Honestly, what is better than ribbons of bright yellow flowers to raise your spirits on a crappy day?

A few months ago on the way home from church Mike (Sr) and I were discussing a talk that had been given which had left us both with the impression that we needed to change our attitudes a bit… looking for the good in people instead of the bad, keeping our words constructive instead of criticizing, searching out the positive rather than the negative of things. We both had deep, profound feelings about this which we did not want to forget. (You know how easy it is to go to church and feel encouraged to do something, but then forget about it quickly by the next day.)

As we discussed how we felt right then and how we didn’t want to lose that feeling, we contemplated a symbol or word that we could use in the future to bring ourselves to remembrance of our desire to do better in this area. As we passed the fields of barley with the sunflowers strewn out along the side, it became very apparent what that symbol should be.

So the sunflower is our reminder to be more optimistic, more charitable in our attitudes towards people. Believe me when I say we have a REALLY long way to go, but we have a deal that any time one of us starts being negative or speaking badly of someone, we can just remind each other of our promise by simply saying “sunflowers”.

Since I know the season won’t last forever, and feet of snow will soon cover all traces of them, I had Mike take me out to snag some pictures before they are all gone...








3 comments:

R Clan said...

Those are beautiful. What an awesome way to remember something so important.

Denise said...

Those are pretty. I will think of that whenever I see one.

Tammy said...

I am loving your "new and improved" photography skills! those are beautiful!