Friday, August 15, 2008

Things aren't always what they seem...

My hubby is not a wimpy looking guy. At 6 feet tall and 220 pounds, a weight lifter and trained in martial arts, he can be a bit overwhelming, (if you don’t know what a teddy bear he really is). Needless to say, he really isn’t afraid of much.

So imagine my surprise the first time I went on a kiddie ferris wheel with him at Six Flags back when the kids were babies and discovered he was afraid of heights. (I don’t know what gave me that impression… maybe it was the fact that he was holding onto the bar with his head buried in his lap!) Needless to say, I was thoroughly entertained by this new revelation, and it has been a source of mischief for me throughout our marriage.

Today we went to Park City for the day with the Edwards Family. One of the things they wanted to do was the alpine slide, which I was excited about… I have always wanted to do it! Mike also thought it looked like a lot of fun… until he realized that we had to ride the ski lift up in order to slide back down!

At first he didn’t want to do it, but after some roguish guilt tripping on my part, (“oh sweetie, the kids will be so sad if you don’t come up and do this with us! You have to come”), he actually agreed. :)

Well we all got on the ski lift together, but being that it was our first time, we did not realize that there was a bar behind us that we could pull down. (Oops). So there we are hanging mid air on a bench with nothing holding us on the seat, and Mike is looking quite green. Wouldn’t you know, it turns out Mike Jr also does not like heights! (Like father, like son.) So the two of them are clutching on to each other while DeAnna and I are snapping pictures and enjoying the view.

“Oh look, there is a bar here to pull down” I announced as I turned around to take a picture of the view behind us. “DON’T MOVE” Mike yells at the kids as both of them go to grab it. “Pet, can you reach the bar?” he asks with one hand wrapped tightly around the arm rest, and the other wrapped around Mike. Um, yeah. I think I can manage to pull that down. (I’m trying really hard not to laugh at this point… just for the sake of him retaining the kids’ respect.)

Once the bar was down, everyone was a little calmer… there was a brief moment of panic when the ski lift suddenly stopped mid-air, but we were back moving within 30 seconds or so.

I have to say that amidst my amusement, I did enjoy watching the two boys support each other through their trial… I even managed to take a snapshot of the tender moment.



My only regret is that I did not buy the photograph at the top of the mountain that was taken on the ride… DeAnna and I were posing with our arms and legs sprawled in the air, but in contrast on the other side of the lift, Mike & Mike were huddled together with their heads buried in their chests.

I can report that the slide down the mountain was well worth the slight trauma that was experienced on the way up… and Mike did say that he would do it all again… “as long as you remember to put the bar in front of me next time.”



1 comment:

MaryBeth said...

Love the pictures! Mike and Mike look adorable all huddled and scared.